Colour grading

03:48

During the editing of my film, I have decided to distinguish the differences between the happy memories scenes and the sad, suffering scenes, following the conventions I have observed watching similar films. This idea came from my earlier research on colour mood manipulation, as well as help from pro-editor Jessie. Putting two of my shots next to each other, there is a clear different between the colouration. 


This shot is a happy memory shot, so I adjusted the temperature to make it warmer and upped the saturation to make the shot more colourful. In addition, I  also slightly increased the contrast, which increased the separation between dark and bright, making shadows darker and highlights brighter. I also thought this shot was effective when I increased the saturation, as the already bright climbing frame pops even more and contrasts with Jessie's dark clothing. 
This shot is during the self-harm scenes, so I made it colder and decreased the saturation, which made it less colourful. I also decreased the contrast, which brought the shadows up and the highlights down to make them closer to one another. This gave the shot overall a more dull, grey-blue colour.






Overall, I think my colour grading looks subtle, yet clear enough to show a difference between the two emotions. This description of blue is exactly why I wanted to use the light grey-blue in my sad scenes, as it creates a feeling of sadness:
Using Plutchik's wheel of emotions, blue puts across grief, sadness and pensiveness.  Also, the brighter orangey-yellow tones of the happy memories show the serenity, joy and optimism. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments